Monday, July 21, 2008

EFF's Virtual Classroom live in a school!

EFF Virtual Classroom went live on Friday the 18th of July 2008 in Red Cross Govt. Girls' High School. After a year of research, planning and developing with immense passion and hard work, it was indeed a proud moment for all of us.

I taught the eighth graders from my office desk while they were seated in their school computer room. I could see them sitting systematically forming a pyramid like shape so that the camera could capture all of them. The moment they saw me in the projector they started giggling and chimed in unison “good morning Teacher”. I did explain how this was going to work but thanks to the ‘idea ad’ on Television, they now had a better idea.

And even before I started with my introductory note, they started asking questions just as in our regular classes. The comfort level was amazing and they sure were incredibly enthusiastic. When I asked how she liked the Virtual Classroom, Soni, one of the students, responded that she felt lucky because she never could even dream of these things being provided in a government school. She says she now looks forward to coming to school more than ever.

We always believed that this is something that would change the face of Indian public school system. And now that we see in action, we are convinced that the “change” is not too far away. Our target is to deploy EFF’s Virtual Classroom in 1000 schools in the next 5 years.

Here is a photo of the class in progress:

(more pics and videos on the way :))

(Click on the image for a better view)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Finally understood what the excitement was all about!! Kudos gurl!!Trust me.You are doing wonders!!

Anonymous said...

We've waited eagerly for this launch..congrats!
I feel glad that you are able to realize a long-cherished dream, but even that pales when I think of the millions of children who will now be able to aspire to things they could never have dreamed of.

Unknown said...

This is such an exciting idea and I would like to participate. I would also like to interview you for my internet radio show, Teaching For a Living, and see how many other teachers I can get involved with you. Please contact me at mawstoolbox@gmail.com.

I tried to contact you through the site to sign up but the registration system isn't working right.

Powered By Blogger