Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Girls Bridge Course School. Aloor, India

I would do anything to see those smiles again, feel those little fingers, and meet those eyes with dreams.

It was drizzling, soon after a dazzling summer which only made the experience even more enduring. Far far away from the hustle and bustle of the city, away from the glaring eyes, abusive tongues and hands. Away from tears, fears, scars, and hunger, here was a place inside a caged gate, where they found their freedom.

700 beautiful girls live in this world, the Bridge Course camp. As we stopped by the gate, I saw two girls pulling open the iron gate for us. They smiled a happy smile and had big dreams written all over their face. We were taken on an entourage by one of the teachers, exploring their classrooms, their bedrooms, dinning hall, their hearts and their world.
A little girl of 3 years old who I was told is an orphan, held my hand and my heart. Like every typical child on this earth, she wanted that extra attention and affection. Another girl who was dumb spoke to me a million words through her eyes and smiles. I also met a future lawyer, so full of hope. I know she will. Someday soon. There was another; a year and a half old girl, oblivious to the world around her, gazing at me endlessly. She probably must’ve wondered why she had such a big family when others she knew usually had three to four. Or was she wondering why her mom and dad never returned home that fateful night. I held her tight and wished her well.
These girls before they were given this new life were bonded laborers, child laborers. Some of them were rescued from child marriages. Their savior? M.V Foundation, a committed NGO, a dedicated conglomerate up in arms against child labor and on a mission to educate ALL children. They proclaimed it as nonnegotiable. Started in 1992 with 16 children, they have grown to educating thousands.
“The Bridge Course is a bridges the gap for children who have already reached an age too old to join school from class 1. And therefore, we train the children for a period of 12 months. Once they learn the basics, they are enrolled in regular schools--older children are placed in higher classes” Manjula the camp in charge explained. Apparently they have a program designed specifically to cater to the needs of different age group.
More than the books and pencils, the roof, food and clothes, it's love they found here.
Being around these children made me a happier me. From that girl touching my eyebrows and probably learning a sense of style, showing them where Nagaland was on the India map, spelling out my name, posing for pictures and simply meeting them. I went back even more inspired, to make EFF come true, true for me, us and them.
This was a visit to the Girls' Bridge Course school run by The M.V Foundation at Aloor. A.P India.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger